An Evening of Song
In addition to Maestro Sowers’ work as an orchestral conductor, he has a musical background as a singer — he actually was a voice performance major at IU Bloomington, and he served as the Director of Choirs at AU for 37 years.
Over the years at the ASO, he has collaborated with some amazing vocalists, a number of whom will join the orchestra for the ASO’s fifth concert of the season’s very special “An Evening of Song.”
- Ryan Ahlwardt, host of FOX 59’s most-watched morning show “Indy Now,” is a singer-songwriter, voice actor, and alumnus of the world-renowned vocal group Straight No Chaser. Ryan performed with the ASO for the 2022 Symphony on the Green.
- Lawrence Brownlee, international opera star, is one of the most in-demand singers in the world today. He has performed frequently with the Metropolitan Opera and in opera houses including Berlin, Madrid, Dresden, Munich, Baden-Baden, Hamburg, Tokyo, Washington, San Diego, Seattle, and Boston.
- Leah Crane has been a featured soloist with orchestras internationally and throughout the Midwest. She is a studio session singer and lead vocalist for Pavel & Direct Contact Latin Jazz and Salsa. This will be Leah’s fourth appearance with the ASO.
- New York-based singer and dancer, Sarah Dearstyne, debuted in the first national tour of the Broadway musical “Bandstand” and most recently performed at the Goodspeed Opera House in the tap dance spectacular “42nd Street” as Lorraine.
- Lynelle Jonsson has appeared with the ASO on several occasions. Based out of New York City, she is a true “crossover artist” who performs internationally in opera, Broadway, jazz, and contemporary music productions. She has appeared on Good Morning America, at Carnegie Hall, and at the Gewandhaus in Leipzig.
- Heather Lake Bays is a first-call studio session singer performing on no fewer than 20,000 songs for film, TV, artist projects, and publishing with clients that include Hans Zimmer, Disney, Joss Stone, Cody Fry, and the UAE. She has appeared at Carnegie Hall and the world-famous Jazz Kitchen in Indianapolis.
- Layke Jones is a Manhattan-based vocalist who has performed with artists Kristen Chenoweth, Scott Hoying, Jessica Vosk, and gospel music pioneers, Bill and Gloria Gaither. He was recently a featured vocalist at Lincoln Center and is scheduled to perform at Carnegie Hall this coming fall.
- Chicago-based arranger, keyboardist, singer, and producer Paul Langford has a career spanning 30 years. Career highlights include working with Celine Dion, Michael Bublé, Kenny Rogers, David Foster, and Heather Headley. He writes for Disney Theme Parks and symphonies and choirs all over the US.
- Singer/songwriter Jon McLaughlin specializes in heartfelt piano pop that has led to collaborations with the likes of Sara Bareilles and Demi Lovato. Making his fourth appearance with the ASO, Jon has released several albums including “Indiana,” “Holding My Breath,” and “Like Us.”
- Sarah Scharbrough McLaughlin is a world-class performer, songwriter and worship leader, whose music has taken her around the globe. With six studio albums released, her soulful, eclectic sound combines a rich tapestry of influences, including classical, jazz, gospel, pop, and country.
- The recipient of five Grammys, 40 Dove awards, three platinum and five gold records, Sandi Patty is among the most highly acclaimed contemporary Christian singers of our time. A versatile performer, Sandi has performed her symphony programs with the ASO and many major orchestras across the US.
- Grammy Award-winning operatic soprano Jessica Rivera is one of the most creatively inspired vocal artists performing before the public today. She has appeared with many of the major orchestras throughout the world. She collaborated with composer John Adams in the world-premier of “A Flowering Tree.”